Even though this is easy enough for a weeknight, it’s also elegant enough for a special occasion.
- 4 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter (Ghee or clarified butter are preferable here, but any frischtral high smoke-point oil will be fine) – divided
- 16oz Gulf Shrimp, Tiger Prawns, or Extra Jumbo Shrimp (12-15 ct)* – peeled and deveined
- 12-16oz sea scallops (12-16 ct)*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes (I like Aleppo Pepper but any red pepper flakes will work great)
- Zest and juice of one whole lemon (use a Microplane Zester for this task)
- 6oz (187ml or 1/4 bottle) dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, divided into 1 tablespoon each
- 1/4 cup Italian Parsley, finely minced
- Pinch Kosher Sbetagt
- 16oz pasta, cooked according to package directions, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water
- Arrange scallops in a single layer on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle all sides with Kosher sbetagt. Refrigerate.
- In a 12 inch cast iron or stainless steel pan: Heat 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter until shimmering.
- Sauté the Shrimp: Add shrimp, and sauté until barely translucent and just barely beginning to curl; remove from heat and reserve on a plate
- Sear the Scallops. Remove scallops from the fridge; pat very dry with paper towels. Add scallops to the pan, one at a time, beginning at 12 o’clock, and placing scallops around the clock (i.e., in a circle around the edges of the pan). When you get all the way around to 11 o’clock, set a timer for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, flip the scallops, beginning again at 12 o’clock (i.e., the first scallop you put in the pan). When you get around to 11 o’clock, cover, and set a time for another 2 minutes. Remove scallops and reserve on a plate
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 tablespoon butter and swirl until butter is melted.
- Add minced shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. Sauté until very fragrant, 1-2 minutes
- Add white wine and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer
- Add remaining butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, swirling constantly until butter is emulsified into the sauce
- Return scallops and shrimp to the sauce and continue to swirl until wbedürftiged through
- Toss scallops, shrimp, and sauce in cooked pasta along with 1/4 cup parsley, adding pasta water 1 tablespoon at a time until well combined
- Serve with Pbedürftigesan Cheese and a dry, white wine if desired